Coast to Coast Am Daily

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coast To Coast Am radio broadcasts featured daily. Check us out for out of this world info that will simply create an inception within your mind.

>>>WELCOME to my forums! Here is the domain of the weird and wonderful! Don't forget to checkout today's latest C2CAM broadcast on my website: www.C2CAMDaily.com or simply click the button on the left sidebar!<<<

---C2CAM Broadcasts---

photo 11111_zps1905f465.png

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

2 posters

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories! BS!! Wake up, you are right!!!

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories! BS!! Wake up, you are right!!! Empty Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories! BS!! Wake up, you are right!!!

Post by Admin Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:57 am

Below is an excerpt from a fellow forums I visit myself, the article was created by Edgar Fouche.

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories! BS!! Wake up, you are right!!! 800px-World_conspiracies_pyramid

Much of this is Bull Shit. I'm NOT paranoid, I know the government,the MIBs, and the Military Industrial Complex IS OUT TO GET ME! Ed

Read: 
    33 Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be True, What Every Person Should Know.
    http://www.infowars.com/33-conspirac...n-should-know/

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories
    Published: May 21, 2013
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/ma...ries.html?_r=0

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories! BS!! Wake up, you are right!!! 26eureka-articleLarge

In the days following the bombings at the Boston Marathon, speculation online regarding the identity and motive of the unknown perpetrator or perpetrators was rampant. And once the Tsarnaev brothers were identified and the manhunt came to a close, the speculation didn’t cease. It took a new form. A sampling: Maybe the brothers Tsarnaev were just patsies, fall guys set up to take the heat for a mysterious Saudi with high-level connections; or maybe they were innocent, but instead of the Saudis, the actual bomber had acted on behalf of a rogue branch of our own government; or what if the Tsarnaevs were behind the attacks, but were secretly working for a larger organization?

Crazy as these theories are, those propagating them are not — they’re quite normal, in fact. But recent scientific research tells us this much: if you think one of the theories above is plausible, you probably feel the same way about the others, even though they contradict one another. And it’s very likely that this isn’t the only news story that makes you feel as if shadowy forces are behind major world events.

“The best predictor of belief in a conspiracy theory is belief in other conspiracy theories,” says Viren Swami, a psychology professor who studies conspiracy belief at the University of Westminster in England. Psychologists say that’s because a conspiracy theory isn’t so much a response to a single event as it is an expression of an overarching worldview.

As Richard Hofstadter wrote in his seminal 1965 book, “The Paranoid Style in American Politics,” conspiracy theories, especially those involving meddlesome foreigners, are a favorite pastime in this nation. Americans have always had the sneaking suspicion that somebody was out to get us — be it Freemasons, Catholics or communists. But in recent years, it seems as if every tragedy comes with a round of yarn-spinning, as the Web fills with stories about “false flag” attacks and “crisis actors” — not mere theorizing but arguments for the existence of a completely alternate version of reality.

Since Hofstadter’s book was published, our access to information has vastly improved, which you would think would have helped minimize such wild speculation. But according to recent scientific research on the matter, it most likely only serves to make theories more convincing to the public. What’s even more surprising is that this sort of theorizing isn’t limited to those on the margins. Perfectly sane minds possess an incredible capacity for developing narratives, and even some of the wildest conspiracy theories can be grounded in rational thinking, which makes them that much more pernicious. Consider this: 63 percent of registered American voters believe in at least one political conspiracy theory, according to a recent poll conducted by Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories! BS!! Wake up, you are right!!! Conspiracy-theories

While psychologists can’t know exactly what goes on inside our heads, they have, through surveys and laboratory studies, come up with a set of traits that correlate well with conspiracy belief. In 2010, Swami and a co-author summarized this research in The Psychologist, a scientific journal. They found, perhaps surprisingly, that believers are more likely to be cynical about the world in general and politics in particular. Conspiracy theories also seem to be more compelling to those with low self-worth, especially with regard to their sense of agency in the world at large. Conspiracy theories appear to be a way of reacting to uncertainty and powerlessness.

Economic recessions, terrorist attacks and natural disasters are massive, looming threats, but we have little power over when they occur or how or what happens afterward. In these moments of powerlessness and uncertainty, a part of the brain called the amygdala kicks into action. Paul Whalen, a scientist at Dartmouth College who studies the amygdala, says it doesn’t exactly do anything on its own. Instead, the amygdala jump-starts the rest of the brain into analytical overdrive — prompting repeated reassessments of information in an attempt to create a coherent and understandable narrative, to understand what just happened, what threats still exist and what should be done now. This may be a useful way to understand how, writ large, the brain’s capacity for generating new narratives after shocking events can contribute to so much paranoia in this country. 

Page 2 Continued:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/ma...ewanted=2&_r=0

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories! BS!! Wake up, you are right!!! 4470597927_70d61db5ed_z

If you are confused, use this clear map to see if you are conspiracy minded. Ed

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories! BS!! Wake up, you are right!!! Towle-Sam-Conspiracy-Poll

Any thoughts?
    High Desert
    High Desert

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories! BS!! Wake up, you are right!!! Empty Re: Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories! BS!! Wake up, you are right!!!

Post by High Desert Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:46 am

Did you get the 'buy into conspiracy" article from Daily Kos? I recall reading a blog with same, similar title.

I came to same conclusion you did. Thanks for all the new info.

Recently I realized something about science and not anti-science but views other then science that I call common sense.

Science default policy is correlations are not there unless proven.
    Common sense default policy is correlations are there until proven they are not.
    Funny thing is science starting point for an investigation is the common wisdom.

I've not quite put my finger on it but I smell the two camps of conspiracy can be summed up the same way.

The overlap graphic is incorrect. Not all the points touch the center. Some are secondary influences. They get marching orders indirectly. It's a fine line distinction but an important one.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 pm